ICT/Digital in Hamilton
Digital media is one of Hamilton’s fastest-growing tech sectors transforming the creation and distribution of a wide range of cultural content. The growth of this economic sector over the past several years positions Hamilton as a top city in Ontario in supporting digital content producers in gaming, film and television.
Hamilton’s technology strengths are also visible in the health sector. Opportunities include system integration, interoperability to prototype novel technologies and educating the next generation of digital health entrepreneurs.
With the growth of the sector, people are starting to notice. CBRE ranks Hamilton, Ontario as number two for North American tech cities of opportunity and the fastest growing in Canadian mid-sized cities from 2012-2017, with a growth rate of 64.8%. CBRE also ranks Hamilton in the Top 5 in Canada for the Quality of Tech Labour and Real Estate Cost, in the Top 2 for mid-sized city tech talent labour pool growth over the past five years and an A- for Tech Labour Quality.
If you have an ICT/Digital business or investment and are looking for help from Hamilton’s Economic Development Office to start a company, expand your operations, and/or find new markets in Hamilton, please contact us!
McMaster University and Mohawk College have seen a dramatic increase in the number of students studying computer science. Highly educated tech professionals are continuously added to the talent pool.
- Hamilton had the largest employment growth percentage increase between 2012-2017 than any other city – including Toronto – at 135.3% for Software Developers
- Many co-working spaces from urban exposed brick to business and research park locations
- Software Hamilton, a networking and events organization bringing together the Hamilton technology and start-up community
- Home to 10,000 sq.ft innovation and accelerator space at McMaster Innovation Park
- Hamilton’s Regional Innovation Center Innovation Factory
- Forge start-up incubator for McMaster University and Hamilton Region