The City of Hamilton is Awarded Gold for Hometown Hub by the International Economic Development Council
HAMILTON, ON – The City of Hamilton has been awarded a Gold Rank for its Hometown Hub website, a project in the category of Special Purpose Website of the International Economic Development Council’s (IEDC) 2021 Excellence in Economic Development Awards. The IEDC Awards recognize the world’s best economic development programs and partnerships, marketing materials, and the year’s most influential leaders.
Hometownhub.ca is an all-in-one on-line sales site for Hamilton’s small businesses. It provides a platform for local small businesses to sell gift cards and online merchandise as well as the ability to quickly bring merchants on-line if they do not already have this sales capability.
- In March 2020, the City announced several initiatives, including Hometownhub.ca, aimed at helping local businesses to ensure Hamilton’s economic growth and success can continue throughout the pandemic.
- Since its launch in March 2020, Hometownhub.ca has generated over 60,000 unique users, 80,000 unique sessions and 2.4 million impressions on Google searches.
- IEDC’s Excellence in Economic Development Awards honour organizations and individuals for their efforts in creating positive change in urban, suburban, and rural communities in 25 award categories.
- Awards are judged by a diverse panel of economic and community developers, following a nomination process held earlier this year.
The IEDC received over 500 submissions from four countries for this award.
“The creation of Hometownhub.ca was a key factor in helping our community connect with and purchase from Hamilton’s small businesses at the beginning of the pandemic. I am proud Hometownhub.ca has received this global recognition from the International Economic Development Council for its innovative and collaborative approach to bringing local businesses online. Congratulations to the Hometownhub.ca team for helping to keep our business community prosperous throughout the pandemic.”
– Mayor Fred Eisenberger
“This award from the International Economic Development Council speaks to the collaboration and strong relationship between the City and our business community. Congratulations to everyone involved in the creation and ongoing support of Hometownhub.ca.”
– Jason Thorne, General Manager, Planning and Economic Development
“This was a great team effort between the City and its private sector partners. Not only was this site put together in the matter of a week but proved to be an effective tool to support our local small businesses during the very depths of the pandemic. I congratulate everyone involved in this very successful project.”
– Norm Schleehahn, Director, Economic Development Division