- This event has passed.
How to Start a Fashion Business
October 12, 2023 @ 10:00 am – 11:30 am
About this event
Delivered by the Toronto Fashion Incubator, this webinar will provide you with an overview of the practical steps needed to develop your fashion business in Toronto. You will learn about business planning, as well as regulatory requirements specific to the fashion industry; protecting your designs as intellectual property; sourcing and the role of import/export in this sector; funding, marketing, and branding your fashion business effectively; pricing your business to turn a profit; understanding the role of sustainability in fashion; and, of course, what you should do and know before you launch.
What you will learn:
- What do I need to consider when making a business plan for my fashion business?
- What is a CA number? What are other regulatory requirements that apply to fashion businesses?
- Where do I find customers for my fashion business? How do I gain exposure?
- Where can I get funding for my fashion business?
- How and where do I source fabrics and other materials?
- Why does my logo matter?
- How do I make my fashion business sustainable?
- Why do I need insurance to run a fashion business?
- How do I make sure I’m setting my price high enough to make money and still be competitive?
- I’ve planned and I feel ready to launch. Now what?
- What is Toronto Fashion Incubator? How might they help my fashion business?
Join us to learn all about how to start a fashion business.
Susan Langdon is the Executive Director of the Toronto Fashion Incubator. Susan is a Toronto-born, third-generation Canadian, who was made a Member of the Order of Canada for her contributions to the fashion industry. In 1994, Langdon was appointed to TFI as the first racialized woman to hold a leadership role in the Canadian fashion industry.
Throughout her career as a fashion entrepreneur, Susan has received much acclaim, including the Fashion Canada Award, Concours Design Award, City of Toronto Industry Achievement Award, Toronto Metropolitan University Alumni Award of Distinction, International Woolmark Award of Distinction, The JoAnna Townsend International Export Award, Icons of Empowerment Award and Fashion Group International’s Fashion Visionary Award.
About Toronto Fashion Incubator:
The Toronto Fashion Incubator (TFI) is the world’s first fashion incubator. TFI is an award-winning, non-profit organization that drives a thriving fashion ecosystem by providing early to mid-stage entrepreneurs access to the expertise, tools, and connections they need to achieve and sustain success in the business of fashion.
Since their launch in 1987, major fashion meccas, including London, Paris, New York, and Milan, have adopted TFI’s innovative co-sharing concept. There are now over 35 fashion incubators around the world, all of which are based on the TFI ground-breaking model. For more information, please visit: https://fashionincubator.com/
Explore the free seminars and workshops offered through Small Business Centres Ontario. Small Business Centres Ontario is the larger association supporting all 54 Small Business Centres across Ontario providing entrepreneurs with a full range of support services needed to start and successfully grow their small businesses.
Explore Available Events