Below is a list of energy programs and solutions offered by the City of Hamilton, the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO), and/or the local utility. There have never been as many energy options for commercial, industrial and institutional customers as there are today.
LEED Grant Program – City of Hamilton’s Leeding the Way CIP
The intent of the LEED Grant program is to provide an economic catalyst for sustainable building and sustainable land development practices located within the LEEDING the Way Community Improvement Project Area.
The purpose of the grant program is for the City to share the incremental construction cost, consultation, energy modeling and certification fees with the applicant to achieve LEED certification. Grants are calculated on the basis of the rating of official certification under the LEED rating system by the Canadian Green Building Council (CaGBC).
The program authorizes for each approved grant application a five year grant, the amount of which is subject to Council approval, in an amount not exceeding the increase in municipal realty taxes as a direct result of the development/redevelopment of land and/or building. The grant which may be approved by Council shall be an amount which does not exceed 75% of the municipal realty tax increase during the term of the grant. For purposes of determining the eligible amount of the increase in municipal realty taxes, special charges shall be excluded from the calculation. The grant would reduce the effect of an increase in municipal (City portion only) realty taxes attributable to the differential between the pre-development assessment and the post-development assessment. The approved grant is assignable. The grant program may be applied for with other incentive programs that the City of Hamilton offers except for other Tax Incremental Financing programs.
Energy Programs and Solutions
Transform your business operations with energy-saving equipment or control systems retrofits. In the Retrofit program you can receive incentives for a variety of energy efficient measures. Eligible projects are generally those that provide sustainable, measurable and verifiable reductions in peak electricity demand and electricity consumption.
- Lighting retrofits
- Lighting controls
- HVAC redesign
- Chiller replacement
- Variable-speed drive installations
Incentives are available for a variety of products and technologies to continue to help businesses save on energy costs and increase their competitiveness.
Distributed Energy Solutions
Alectra Energy Solutions delivers a comprehensive suite of distributed energy solutions to help customers reduce long-term energy costs, improve operational reliability and meet ongoing sustainability goals.
Turnkey behind-the-meter solutions include:
- Natural gas power generation
- Solar photovoltaic installations
- Battery energy storage systems
- Off-grid energy solutions
- Geothermal technology implementation
Alectra Energy Solutions uses advanced technologies from well-established partners, practical knowledge of the electricity sector and a unique ability to own and operate energy assets on a long-term basis.
Municipalities, academic institutions, hospitals and industrial facilities have highly specialized electricity needs. Maintaining a reliable flow of electricity is a key priority. So are ensuring safety, managing energy costs and meeting local greenhouse gas emissions targets.
Alectra Energy Solutions’ High Voltage team has in-depth, hands-on experience providing high-quality utility infrastructure and are committed to reliability, resilience and safety.
- Design/build, operation and maintenance of private high voltage systems for commercial, industrial and institutional facilities
- Installation of underground and overhead infrastructure, transformers, sub-stations and equipment to support high-demand and sensitive critical loads (13.8 kV or higher)
Solar Energy Services
With a leading industry program and years of research and development experience, along with a demonstrated ability to maximize system performance and project life, Alectra Energy Solutions offers a complete suite of services to ensure the ongoing value and production life of your solar assets:
- Operations and maintenance, design, project management, construction and consulting services for all categories of solar projects
- Optimization of your solar assets’ performance
- 24/7 remote monitoring of your solar assets from our in-house control room
- Drone inspections, IV curve testing and infra-red scans
- Remote dispatch service
- Modeling and forecasting of solar yields
- Constant monitoring of solar research and innovation for continuous improvement opportunities
- Long-standing, collaborative relationships with utilities, contractors and suppliers
- Value added experience and expertise
- Strong safety record, utility-based safety protocols and procedures
PowerStream Energy Services (PESI) provides sub-metering services for multi-residential and commercial buildings throughout Ontario and across Canada. As a premium energy services provider, PESI provides the systems and engineering expertise that turns energy opportunities into custom solutions. With an innovative and entrepreneurial way of doing business, PESI delivers outstanding products and services and is committed to providing customers with safe, reliable, and efficient services.
Sub-Metering Services and Offerings:
- Fully-funded electric, water, gas and thermal meters and installation
- Full Integration with building automation systems
- Ongoing maintenance on all meters
- Online energy-management and reporting portal for property managers and developers
- A dedicated Project Manager to handle client requirements