Joshy’s Good Eats
Toronto-born but Southern California raised, Josh’s first experience with cured fish came at the young age of 5 when, after trout fishing with his grandfather, he hung his trout in a smoking hut on the beach.
Many years later, when he was 17 he took a trip to Copenhagen and tasted Gravlax for the first time and, well, the rest is history. Moving back to Canada from Portland Oregon Josh was given the chance to work and manage Schmaltz Appetizing for Anthony Rose and Robert Wilder and this gave way to a true passion for cured fish. Having moved to Hamilton in 2019 with my fiancée, it was in the summer of 2020 that I decided to take the chance to become self-employed and started Joshy’s Good Eats.
Hi, my name is Sydney, and I and the owner of Truck 44, a mobile coffee bar in Hamilton Ontario. It was always a dream of mine to launch a business, especially one that included coffee & treats!
When I first started I had 101 ideas of how to make this truck come to life. The Starter Company Plus program helped me put all my ideas on paper and find the ones that were key to my success. Writing out a business plan and working with a group of people who are going through the same thing is invaluable and contributed so much to the successful launch of my business. Receiving the grant was so exciting and I recommend to anyone starting a business to apply.
Applications are now OPEN for the Fall 2021 cohort! Applications will be accepted until August 11th, 2021 (11:59pm).
If you have already submitted your application, we recommend that you send an updated application closer to the deadline so that your details are up-to-date.
Upcoming Information Sessions:
Interested in learning more about Starter Company Plus?
Individuals interested are encouraged to attend an upcoming information session to learn more and clarify NEW eligibility requirements.
Each session is approximately 45-60 minutes in length.
- 18 years of age and over
- Ontario resident – living in Hamilton
- Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident
- Not attending school full-time; not working outside the business more than 20 hours per week
- Operating a full-time business in Hamilton (35+ hours per week)
- Not enrolled in another self-employment program
- The applicant is fully responsible for the ongoing operation of the business and is the majority shareholder (at least 50%) in the case of a corporation
- Agree to follow all government rules and regulations for operating a business
Business Activity Eligibility:
- Business is in the start-up and/or operational phase (up to two years in age)
- Businesses must be sales ready at time of funding
- Business is an independent business venture
- Business does not rely on commission sales
- Business is not an existing franchise operation
- Business operates at arm’s length from family business ventures
- Business operates full-time as defined in the business plan (35+ hours per week)
- Business maintains it’s own books and records
- Business maintains a separate business bank account
Join the Wait List:
If you do not qualify for the Fall 2021 cohort, you are welcome and encouraged to add your name and email address to our wait list. Everyone signed up on the wait list will be notified as soon as the Winter 2022 cohort is announced – approximate timeline is January 2022.
While you wait to hear about SCP, we encourage you to start and grow your business, as well as take advantage of the other resources and services the Hamilton Business Centre offers including workshops and FREE consultations.join the wait list today